Building Design Insurance Bureau have been meeting the insurance needs of Architects and other construction professionals for over 30 years.

We pride ourselves in the level and quality of service we provide to our clients.

If you would like any further information, or a quote for any of your insurances where the renewal date is approaching, please contact us by phone, or by using the contact us link.

This is an essential protection for professional firms and practices who provide a service or advice and thereby owe a duty of care to those who might reasonably rely upon that service or advice.

Until the end of 2018 the insurance market for Professional Indemnity Insurance for Architects had been relatively straight forward with architects generally able to select from a number of insurance providers with premiums at relatively low levels. That has all changed as the losses incurred by insurers following issues such as the fallout from Grenfell and London basement collapses has driven a number of insurers out of the market. The remaining capacity has severely tightened the terms of cover provided and we are seeing a number of cases where we are experiencing significant premium increases as insurers try to stem the flow of the losses they have incurred. It is of course difficult to predict when, or even if, the market will return to any kind of previous “normal”, but more so than ever it is imperative that Architects seek expert help in arranging a suitable policy to meet their circumstances.

The Cover

The insurance provides protection to practices for ‘claims made’ against them during the policy period, arising from an alleged breach of duty of care in their professional work. The insurers, will provide an indemnity for damages awarded against them plus legal costs of defending the claim and costs awarded against them as well as providing guidance with a claim.

Claims Made

Professional Indemnity policies are written on a claims made basis; the insurers who meet the claim are the ones providing cover at the time of receipt of a notification that a claim is to be made against you. Accordingly, all the time that your cover remains continuous, albeit not necessarily with the same insurer, cover will be provided for any claims made against you for incidents arising during that period.

Adequate Limit of Indemnity

It is necessary to ensure that the limit meets your requirements, or that of your client.
This will need to be maintained in subsequent years because of contractual liability.

Retroactive Cover

Sometimes the cover is restricted to claims made in connection with work done after a certain date (called the Retroactive date). 
Generally, an architect who has been continuously insured will be given full retroactive cover each year, even if he changes insurers. 
However, an architect who has been in business for a while but is seeking insurance for the first time, might find insurers reluctant to give full retroactive cover or only willing to give it for an additional premium. 
For more help either obtain a quote and buy online at or contact us for further information and a proposal form.

Typically purchased as a package policy to protect against three core areas;

  • Buildings and contents – in the same way as you protect your home and contents, this provides cover for your business premises, furniture, computers, etc.

  • Employers and Public Liability – employers liability is compulsory if you have employees within your business whilst public liability provides protection against the risk of a visitor to your business injuring themselves whilst visiting your premises. In both cases, the policy cover will provide benefits to defend a claim brought against you.

  • Business Interruption – provides benefits to compensate your business if you are unable to use your premises for a variety of reasons e.g. flood, physical damage, denial of access etc.

The sections of cover included in a policy will be tailored to meet the requirements of your own business, so that the cover included, as well as the level of benefits provided, are relevant to your own circumstances.

Additional coverage is often available within a Business Insurance policy, such as Legal Expenses cover to fund the costs of obtaining advice against employment disputes, property issues, tax investigation etc.  Alternatively, such covers can be arranged as a stand alone policy, often providing more significant levels of cover.

Cyber crime is an increasing risk to businesses and individuals alike. High profile ransomware attacks now regularly hit the headlines, but that is the tip of the iceberg. Crimes against individuals and small business are common place. Insurance polices will provide invaluable expert help, financial recompense to fund repairs, assist in recovering losses from fraud, deal with cases of identity theft etc.

Like any insurance, a cyber policy won’t remove the fact that you need to take your own measures to protect yourself e.g. anti virus, back ups etc, but for a relatively small premium, the ability to protect your computers, data and identity in the event of a crime against you or your business could prove crucial.

We live in an increasingly litigious society.  A Legal Expenses policy will provide access to legal experts to assist you in defending yourself, meet the costs involved often including any awards made against you.  Whether cover is purchased on a commercial or personal basis, cover will typically be provided across a range of areas of potential dispute such as HMRC Investigations, Statutory Licence, Regulation/Compliance, Employment, Property etc. 

Buildings Insurance 

For most people, a house is the biggest single investment that they will make and it should be well protected. Buildings insurance can protect your home, outbuildings, garages, patios, drives, walls and even swimming pools and tennis courts.

Amongst other things, your buildings will be covered against damage by all the major perils including:

  • Fire, explosion, lighting, earthquake
  • Smoke
  • Malicious acts and theft
  • Storm and flood
  • Subsidence, heave and landslip
  • Falling trees
  • Impact
  • Escape of water
  • Accidental damage to underground services or pipes.

Cover can be extended to include accidental damage to the structure of the house, for example putting a foot through the ceiling while in the loft.

Contents Insurance 

Provides wide-ranging cover for all your household contents – furniture, carpets, curtains, pictures, TV, computers, kitchen equipment and clothing, to name just a few.

Amongst other things, your home will be automatically insured against the following:

  • Fire, explosion, lightening, earthquake or smoke damage
  • Theft (including damage by thieves)
  • Storm or flood damage
  • Escape of water or oil from pipes or tanks
  • Malicious damage

For the majority of items, cover will be provided cover on a new for old basis, with no deduction for wear and tear. Accidental damage cover can be automatically provided for television sets, stereo equipment, computers and mirrors. This cover can be extended to cover accidental damage cover to other household contents.

You can also include personal possessions cover on an “All-risks” basis, both at home and away from the home, including whilst you are abroad.  Typically, such items include jewellery, hand bags, sports equipment, mobile phones and clothing. Personal cash may also be covered.

Home Emergency Cover

This valuable cover provides benefits and assistance for problems Plumbing & Drainage, blocked drains and leaking radiators. Heating cover provided in the event of sudden failure of the central heating system boiler, Loss of Utilities, Pest Infestation, Property Security, Sanitation, Roofing. Emergency access provided to over 2,000 tradespeople, and no excess to pay.

If you own properties to rent out, this provides a comprehensive range of cover and advice. Rent guarantee options are available to provide a total peace of mind landlord solution, ALPS Landlord Legal Expenses is further supported by a helpline which operates 24 hours per day, 365 days a year to provided guidance on a number of different tenancy related issues.

We have been placing motor insurance on behalf of our clients for over 30 years. As a result we have proven experience of sourcing and arranging competitive motor insurance with major Insurers. 

Please consider using us when your renewal is approaching, we will be pleased to obtain quotes for you.  Alternatively, contact us by phone, email or via the contact us form on this website and let us know your renewal date – we will contact you at the appropriate time.

How would you meet the ongoing expenses of your business if you were unable to work due to illness or injury?

Our Professional Overheads Insurance Scheme will help you pay the costs associated with your business, such as staff salaries, rent, rates, utility bills etc. - giving you peace of mind whilst you recover.

It does not matter if you are going away for a short break or longer, our new travel insurance can cover you and your family. We believe it`s probably one of the most competitively priced products in the market and has been designed especially for the clients of Building Design Insurance Bureau.

  • Terrorism cover included
  • Short period or Annual cover
  • Instant cover via Credit/Debit Card
  • No application form to complete

For comprehensive cover at a most competitive price and instant cover click here 

Contact us

Contact us

If you have any questions about us or the services we provide call us on 01277 288233 or email us on

Building Design Insurance Bureau is a trading name of Professional and Medical Insurance Solutions Ltd, part of Global Risk Partners Limited (GRP), one of the UK’s largest independent insurance intermediary groups. GRP comprises a national network of personal, SME and middle market insurance brokers, leading Lloyd’s and London market insurance brokers, and an Underwriting Division providing a range of specialist and niche insurance products.

For further information please see